Thursday, January 23, 2014

Research topics for Nature


In Oxford, I had the great privilege of spending the semester with Yadvinder Mahli's tropical forest research group. I learned a ton about the biome. It was a real treat.

One thing I learned is that there seems to be a lot of great research being published in Nature on tropical forests. It seemed like every week there was a new paper in Nature.

Each one seemed deserved, but I wasn't sure if there really was more good research coming out of tropical forests than say temperate forests or grasslands.

So, I did a search in Nature for research articles published 2012-2014. The search was by keyword.

Results are above.

It seems to be true. On average, about once a week, there is a paper that is associated with tropical forests. Temperate forests? 1 every 2 weeks. Boreal, once a month.

Grasslands? Less than once a month.

The numbers up there really do seem to match funding levels. I'm surprised tropical forests : grasslands is just 5:1 to be honest.

I double-checked to make sure I spelled chaparral right. I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment